The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) invites South African academics based in South African public universities in the faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences as well as research institutes to submit their applications for funding. All applications should be submitted online at https://gms.nihss.ac.za no later than Saturday, 30 June 2018.
The NIHSS reserves the right to extend the closing date, or withdraw the call before the closing date based on the volume of applications received.
ABOUT THE WORKING GROUPS PROGRAMME
The Working Groups Programme contributes to meeting the Institute’s Strategic objective of “promoting the integrity, reputation and recognition of the humanities and social sciences within the higher education community, the science and technology community, and society.” Funding is awarded to projects within the broad category of the Humanities and Social Sciences. The NIHSS also welcomes Comparative BRICS related projects in the areas of Sustainable Development and Quality of Life; Education; Health; Economic Growth and Development; Peace and Security; Social Justice; Political and Economic Governance; and Knowledge and Innovation.
NIHSS will fund the following academic activities:
- Publication of books, journals and creative outputs;
- Opportunities for international collaborations within Africa and the BRICS
- Hosting of Conferences, Annual General Meetings, Workshops, Seminars, Dialogues, colloquia and similar academic events.
- All applications/proposals must be endorsed by the relevant institutional representative,
- Applicants must be South African researchers and academics based in South African public universities in the faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Applications/proposals will be assessed based on collaborations, capacity building and quality of outputs/publications
- Funding under the Working Groups Programme is limited to a maximum grant of R300 000.00.
APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS AS PART OF THEIR APPLICATION:
- Full research proposal with detailed budgets (with projected income and expenditure)
- A motivation letter (not longer than 500 words).
- Full curriculum vitae of the applicant (principal researcher, team members details to be included in CV)
- Letter of endorsement of institution (s), where the project will be based (relevant Dean/s)
- Copy of ID of applicant
For enquiries related to this call, please contact:
Mr. Thabo Letsoalo
Telephone: (011) 480 2300/27
For any technical queries only, please contact:
Mr. Kambale Muhongya
Telephone: (011) 480 2300/28