The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) is pleased to invite academics based in South African public universities in the faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences as well as research institutes to submit their applications for funding for the Professional Research Associations Programme.
The NIHSS reserves the right to extend the closing date or withdraw the call before the closing date based on the volume of applications received.
ABOUT THE PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS PROGRAMME
The Professional Associations Programme is intended to meet the Institute’s strategic objectives of promoting the integrity, reputation and recognition of the humanities and social sciences within the higher education community, the science and technology community, and society. Professional Associations represent the interests of the respective disciplines. The objectives of this initiative are to ensure resilience and sustainability of the Professional Associations, and the NIHSS provides funding for several activities hosted by Professional Associations including:
- Annual General Meetings;
- Journal editors, and
- Opportunities for international collaborations.
- To qualify for funding, the Association must: be in the disciplines represented by the Humanities and Social Sciences; have a formal structure with office bearers; and have had at least one conference.
- All applications/proposals must be endorsed by the relevant institutional representative.
- Applicants must be researchers and academics based in South African public universities in the faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Funding under the Professional Associations Programme is limited to a maximum grant of R 500 000.00.
- Applications will be considered based on scientific and technical merit, the purpose of the project, and innovative methodology.
- Applications should outline collaborations that would be established by the project.
- The proposal should promote equality and capacity-building in the case that the researcher includes training of South African postgraduate students (Master’s and Doctoral).
- The project must be completed within 12 months from the date of contract signature, and progress and closing reports must submitted to the NIHSS.
- Only proposals not exceeding R 500 000.00 will be considered.
APPLICANTS RESPONDING TO THIS CALL SHOULD SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION FOR APPLICATION:
- Application forms can be accessed at: https://gms.nihss.ac.za
- Cover page with the following information: Name of Professional Association; Details of contact person; List of key office bearers with institutions of affiliation; Name of journal (if applicable).
- Constitution of the Association.
- Detailed proposal with budget (with projected income and expenditure).
- A motivation letter (maximum 1 000 words).
- Full curriculum vitae of the applicant.
- Letter of endorsement of institution(s), where the project will be based (relevant Dean/s).
- Certified South African ID copy of applicant.
Enquiries may be directed to Mr Katlego Scheepers (Katlego@nihss.ac.za). For technical queries only, please call 011 480 2328
Closing Date: 30 September 2020
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.