The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) is pleased to invite suitably qualified researchers and postgraduate students based at South Africa’s public universities to apply for the African Pathways Programme (APP) and BRICS Teaching and Research Mobility Grant.
The objective of the APP and BRICS Teaching and Research Mobility grant is to advance research, teaching and learning in the Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) by fostering greater cooperation and dialogue among scholars and postgraduate researchers within the African continent and BRIC countries. Funding under this programme will support South African researchers and postgraduate students who undertake research and teaching endeavours such as: joint teaching collaborations, establishing teaching programmes, new curriculum development, attending relevant short courses, and fostering research networks at non-South African universities across the African continent and BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India, and China).
- Only South African citizens based in South African public universities within the Humanities and Social Sciences fields, or those involved in collaborative BRICS projects, may apply.
- Postgraduate students must be currently registered for either a Masters or PhD/Doctoral study on a full-time basis.
- Non-South African scholars from the rest of the African continent may be considered for the Grant only upon invitation by a South African scholar from any of the public universities.
- Similarly, academics and researchers based at another BRIC country must be invited by a South African based scholar.
VALUE OF THE GRANT
- A maximum of R150 000.00 will be awarded to successful applicants.
- Applications will be considered based on the purpose of the mobility. Thus, applicants must ensure that their proposal is only for the purpose of undertaking a mobility within the African continent or BRIC country.
- The mobility must be completed by 31 January 2019, and closing report submitted to the NIHSS by 28 February 2019.
- Only proposals not exceeding R150 000.00 will be considered.
To apply, kindly submit the following documentation online:
- Applications should be submitted at https://gms.nihss.ac.za For assistance with the application process please read the GUIDELINES.
- Certified copy of ID/Passport
- Motivation letter
- Proof of acceptance for Mobility/ Conference
- A comprehensive Curriculum Vitae/ Resume
- A proposal clearly detailing the purpose of the mobility and intended outcomes/outputs, timeframe for undertaking the mobility, work outline and itemised budget – maximum 1000 words.
- In the case of postgraduate student applicants, a letter of recommendation from the supervisor confirming the applicants’ affiliation and capacity to undertake the proposed activity AND proof of registration.
Enquiries related to the call, may be directed to Mr Senkhu Maimane (email@example.com). For technical queries only, please call 011 480 2328.
Closing date: 31 August 2018 (Incomplete or late applications will not be considered)