The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS), in partnership with the University of the Witwatersrand Press (WUP) and University of KwaZulu-Natal Press (UKZN Press)
The NIHSS has partnered with WUP and UKZN Press to publish new research in the humanities and social sciences. The aim of the partnership is in line with the mandates of the Institute to promote and facilitate research in the humanities and social sciences as well as to explore new vistas in pan-African scholarship.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified South African NIHSS-SAHUDA graduates to convert their doctoral theses into manuscript and peer reviewed books by WUP or UKZN Press. The publication award will be allocated to the press and will cover the full cost of the publication process.
- Only South African citizens, NIHSS-SAHUDA graduates 2014-2018 (first and second cohort)
- A successful PhD/doctoral study funded by the NIHSS
- Positive doctoral thesis reviews
- Coherence and feasibility of the proposal/ manuscript proposal
- Doctoral research and contribution of the project to the body of knowledge in the field
NIHSS-SAHUDA graduates should submit the following documentation on the application form which is accessible at: https://nihss.ac.za/content/thesis-conversion-book-manuscript-form
- A motivation letter (not longer – 1000 words)
- A recent intellectual autobiography: a narrative of the major influences in your intellectual life (not longer than– 500 words)
- An updated CV
- Summary of doctoral thesis outlining the problem statement, methodology, research findings, theoretical contribution, and the contribution to the body of knowledge in the particular field of study
- All internal and external reviews from academics who reviewed the thesis.
- A certified copy of your full academic transcript/s
- A certified copy of your ID
- Complete doctoral thesis (uploaded on link provided)
Please direct all queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Closing Date: 01 February 2019
Applications from the following South African public universities will be accepted:
Cape Peninsula University of Technology; Durban University of Technology; Nelson Mandela University; North West University; Northern Cape University; Rhodes University; Stellenbosch University; Tshwane University of Technology; University of Cape Town; University of Fort Hare; University of the Free State; University of Johannesburg; University of KwaZulu-Natal; University of Limpopo; University of Mpumalanga; University of Pretoria; University of South Africa; University of the Western Cape; University of the Witwatersrand; University of Venda; University of Zululand; Vaal University of Technology; and Walter Sisulu University.