The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences and CASS working with the China-Africa Institute are pleased to invite suitably qualified researchers based at South Africa’s public universities to apply to a call for applications for joint research projects with Chinese researchers and academics.
The China Africa Institute (CAI), an initiative under the auspices of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS), will partner with the National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) in overseeing collaborative research projects between South African and Chinese researchers and academics. The objective of this programme is to promote and strengthen the research cooperation in the field of humanities and social sciences between the two countries, by providing funding to allow joint research activities for internationally excellent research in relevant areas of mutual interest and benefit. This collaboration envisages the following: joint research programmes, training, joint publications, seminars, and scholarly exchanges. This research collaboration will foster research networks between Chinese and South African counterparts.
Applicants should be South African academics and researchers who wish to develop a joint research project with a counterpart from China in the following broad thematic areas:
- Promoting cooperation for economic growth and development
- Political and economic governance
- Social justice, sustainable development and quality of life
- Peace and security, and
- Progress through sharing knowledge and innovation.
- Researchers and academics holding permanent positions in publicly funded universities and research institutes
- A PhD, which applicants must have held for at least three years.
VALUE OF THE GRANT
- The value of the grant is set at a maximum of R500 000.00.
The following criteria will be used to assess the proposal:
- Quality of the proposal: originality; relationship to existing research in the field; scholarly importance of the research proposed; capacity building.
- Quality/attributes of collaboration: feasibility of the proposed research; intended outcomes; track record of the applicant.
- The project must be completed within twelve (12) months, with quarterly progress reports due, and a closing report to be submitted.
- Only proposals not exceeding R500 000.00 will be considered.
To apply, kindly submit the following documentation online:
- Applications should be submitted at: https://nihss.ac.za/content/joint-nihss-and-cass-research-project-application-form
- Certified copy of ID/Passport
- Motivation letter
- A comprehensive Curriculum Vitae/ Resume(s)
- A certified copy of PhD graduation certificate
- A letter from your head of department attesting to permanent employment
- A proposal clearly detailing the purpose of the project and intended outcomes/outputs, timeframe for undertaking the project, work outline and itemised budget.
Enquiries related to the call, may be directed to Mr Senkhu Maimane (firstname.lastname@example.org). For technical queries only, please call 011 480 2328.
CLOSING DATE: 15 February 2020
(Incomplete or late applications will not be considered)