ANNUAL NATIONAL DOCTORAL CONFERENCE 2018
“Building and Dynamising the Humanities and Social Sciences”
31 October - 01 November 2018, Birchwood Conference Centre, Johannesburg
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS & FULL PAPERS
The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) invites second and third year scholarship holders to its Annual National Doctoral Conference to be hosted in November 2018 in Johannesburg. The Conference is an initiative of the NIHSS, in partnership with the South African Humanities Dean Association (SAHUDA), and the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), bringing together NIHSS funded students in the Humanities and Social Sciences who are completing their doctoral degrees at South African public universities.
All NIHSS second and third year scholarship holders, are required to submit abstracts for oral presentations based on their doctoral studies. All abstracts and supporting documents must be submitted online by Monday, 3 September 2018.
- All NIHSS scholarship beneficiaries who are currently in their second and third years of funding.
- Complete the online abstract and full paper application form at https://gms.nihss.ac.za
- Provide an abstract describing your research in 600 words
- Provide a bio-sketch of not more than 200 words
- Attach a copy of ID/Passport
- Attach a passport size high resolution photo
Abstract Submission Details
- Abstracts must be no more than 600 words.
- Abstracts must include: the significance of the topic, a description of the key issues being addressed, the methods utilised or that you plan to utilise, and preliminary ideas and findings, and/or emerging conclusions.
- Abstracts should be original work which has not have been published or presented elsewhere before the Conference.
Full Paper Submission Guideline
- Title page must contain the following:
- Full title of the paper with full contact details of author including email, and university.
- Abstract (150-200 words)
- The length of the paper should be 5000 – 7 000 words.
- The Chicago Referencing Style must be used, that is, references are cited in the text by the author(s) name(s), the year of publication and the page number(s) in brackets. For example (Gumede, 2003: 370), including the full list of references that appears at the end of the paper.
- Endnotes should be kept to a minimum and should be signalled by superscript numbers in the main text and listed at the end of the text before the references.
- Tables, figures, and graphics should be imbedded within the text.
- The full paper must be typed in Times New Roman 12-point font size, in 1,5 spacing.
- The submission file must be in Microsoft Word, RTF, and WordPerfect format.
- The full paper must be uploaded in the system
Transportation, accommodation and meals for the conference will be covered by the NIHSS.
Submission closing dates:
- Ensure the Abstracts is in the system by 3 SEPTEMBER 2018
- Ensure the Full papers is uploaded in the system by 1 OCTOBER 2018
PLEASE DIRECT ALL ENQUIRIES TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT, PLEASE CALL: 011 480 2300/28 OR SENT A QUERY TO ITSupport@nihss.ac.za