The Africanisation of the curricula at higher education institutions is long overdue.
Newspaper and Opinion pieces
- Type: Newspaper and Opinion piecesYear of Publishing: 2014Keywords: Higher education, Education curricula, language debate, Institute for African Renaissance Studies
- Type: Newspaper and Opinion piecesYear of Publishing: 2014Keywords: Higher education, Employment equity policy, Emerging Researchers Programme (ERP)
Dr. Price outlines four challenging areas faced by UCT on the issue of the lack of black and female professors. (University of Cape Town 7 November 2014)
- Type: Newspaper and Opinion piecesYear of Publishing: 2014Keywords: Higher Education, South African academia, Higher Education South Africa (Hesa)
The many barriers faced by younger staff unfairly protect senior incumbents. (7 March 2014)
- Type: Newspaper and Opinion piecesYear of Publishing: 2014Keywords: Higher education, Student initiation, Cultural identity, North-West University, Monoculturalism
This article discusses how the "we-ness" factor entrenched by student initiation at universities may clash with cultural identity. The recent debates about selected practices associated with the orientation and introduction programme of the North-West University's (NWU's) Potchefstroom campus have been conducted in typical media style — sensational, selective reporting tending towards persuasion rather than reflection. More broadly, this newspaper article seeks too discover what these practices say about the academy, NWU or, more widely, about higher education in South Africa.
- Type: Newspaper and Opinion piecesYear of Publishing: 2013Keywords: Higher education, Institutional transformation, Soudien ministerial report on discrimination,Transformation charters, HESA
This article points out how the Higher Education and Training Minister Blade Nzimande's appointment in January as part of the permanent ministerial oversight committee on transformation at South Africa's 23 public universities is timely because many of them are grappling with governance and management problems. The article argues that an oversight committee on transformation will not be a punitive ‘policing’ forum.
- Type: Newspaper and Opinion piecesYear of Publishing: 2015Keywords: Higher education, Transformation, Rural education, South African Native National Congress, Inter-Institutional
In a first for South Africa, the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) has established a chair of rural education. To be launched on Monday at a public lecture on UKZN’s Edgewood campus, the John Langalibalele (JL) Dube Chair in Rural Education will facilitate an exclusive focus on rural teaching and teacher training, Professor Relebohile Moletsane, the first holder of the chair, told M&G Online. (Mail & Guardian 05 Nov 2010)
- Type: Newspaper and Opinion piecesYear of Publishing: 2013Keywords: Tertiary education, Education transformation, Staff profile, 'White privilege', Equity profile
It will take South Africa’s top five universities up to 382 years to transform so that their staff and graduates reflect the demographics of the country, a study has found. (City Press 23 October 2013)
- Type: Newspaper and Opinion piecesYear of Publishing: 2014Keywords: University transformation, professorships, black intellectuals, academic transformation, tenureship
Makes recommendations on how to transform South Africa's academic professoriate [City Press, 20 July 2014].